Sunday, May 13, 2012

Word Press Memory Size Errors: a (hopefully) simple fix


I was very excited to have gotten my website finalized last night at around 3 a.m.   I posted the link at all my social media sites and was about to go to bed when I thought to add just one more thing.  I just wanted to add ONE MORE, but when I did I broke the back-end of my blog.  Now I can’t log onto it and, when I try, I get the error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in”….

My web host is Network Solutions.  I did some research and I am putting out the word for anyone else that comes across this problem.  Here is the deal; If you get an error like this then you tried to stick too much data on your Word Press site.  You need to increase the memory capacity of your hosting service in order to run the applications that are supporting your site.  You could go in to your WP-admin folder and change the PHP script there, so that you can have a capacity of 64 M.  See the following discussion for a how-to (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/fatal-error-allowed-memory-size-of-33554432-bytes-exhausted-2).


Word Press Fatal Error

If, however, you are running your site on Network Solutions, then you cannot do that.  You will, instead, have to create a php.ini file and upload that to the cgi-bin folder of your root directory.  I don’t know how to write the php code to execute an increase in memory.  I will be calling Network Solutions tomorrow.  If I can get them to send me the file, then I will post the code here tomorrow, otherwise I will have to keep working on it.  Once I get it, then I will post it to my blog.  Seeing as I am posting a link straight from Network Solutions, it would seem like this was a straight forward problem to source, but it wasn’t.  I am not a programmer so I am learning as I go.  Here is a link to more info about the issue.  http://www.networksolutions.com/support/php-ini-for-unix-shared-hosting-faq/

For the meantime, I must continue using this Blogger blog for my updates.  I know, it is very sad and I am distraught enough as it is, so please don’t remind me if I talk to you personally.  On the other hand, if you know how to fix my Word Press, I will more than welcome your input.  Many Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reader input, anyone? (Thanks for checking out my blog)