Sunday, December 18, 2011

Post four: So, this is Lima



GOOD EATS AND OTHER DODGY HAUNTS


While I’m blogging on one end of the couch, Christian is snoring away on the other, and there is some random Brasilian dude to my right who checking his Facebook at 3 o'clock in the morning.  Christian owns this place.  It looks like I will be sharing a room with 2 other women, both of whom have been snoozing upstairs for hours.  This hostal feels a lot like a big home, or a local bed-and-breakfast sans the breakfast-in-bed.


WHERE’S THE DRIVER?!?


I literally had to pick my driver out from a pack of 600 crowded people that were all smiling and shining at me from every direction.  There had to be about 150 name cards being held up, so finding mine wasn’t exactly a gimme.  

EVERY SOL SAVED IS A SOL EARNED

The currency here is the Soles, short for Nuevo Sol, or “New Sun”.  There are ~3 Soles per Dollar.  I have heard it will cost me about 300 Soles to take a bus for 36 hours across the desert, from here to La Paz, Bolivia.  My hostal is costing me $7 per night, but that’s because it’s the best in town.



THE SWEET SPOT

Well one good thing about traveling for 17 hours straight is that you have lots of time to kill.  I got about 15 hours of work done today, between the reading of business books and the streamlining of business plans… the entire experience left me thrilled and excited for the new year to come.


SAY WHA?!?

The flight was interesting.  I don’t think I will take Spirit Air ever again.  I am not sure if it was the gentleman in front of me that kept passing extra stinky gas, or the screaming children behind me that were kicking my seat all night, but there was some definite room for improvement on the flight experience.



ESPIRITU LIBRE PARA LA VIDA


I would hate to miss out on something now because I was too busy trying to plan how to get where I want to be in the future, when I am already someplace that, in the past, I have always wanted to be.  The grass is forever greener when it is on the other side.  

RANDOM THOUGHTS

Every thought is seeming  pretty random right now.  I've been up almost 24 hours and the dawn's probably pretty close to breaking.  I think I better call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reader input, anyone? (Thanks for checking out my blog)